Be the Teacher and the Student
Changes to the state certification requirements now allow students in Alaska Pacific’s CO-OP to be fully-employed classroom teachers by day, and CO-OP students by night. Initial Certificates can be granted to qualified individuals in a teacher preparatory program.
To qualify for an Initial Certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (already required for the CO-OP)
- Completion of a teacher preparation program – OR — Current enrollment in a teacher preparation program (APU’s CO-OP)
- Passing scores on the Praxis I, CBEST, or WEST-B exam (already required for the CO-OP)
- Fingerprint cards submitted with application for background check (already required for the CO-OP)
- Complete application and fees submitted to the State of Alaska
As you can see, you will satisfy nearly all of the requirements for an Initial Certificate by applying and enrolling in the CO-OP. For more detailed information visit the State of Alaska’s Teacher Certification site.
Alaska K-8 Certification
Successful completion of the CO-OP provides a recommendation for Alaska K-8 certification from the Alaska Pacific University Education Department. Simply complete the certification process with the State of Alaska and you are ready to teach.