Welcome to active learning and a classroom as big as Alaska
Environmental Science emphasizes hands-on research from your earliest days in the major. Expect to join peers and your APU professors for project-based learning that incorporates Alaska as our classroom.
Pursue real-world science and fieldwork with our private and public sector partners. ES students contribute to ecology studies on Mount McKinley. They present findings in snow science and earn internationally ranked internships. They publish peer-reviewed results – a resume-builder that few undergraduates see.
ES graduates compete successfully at places like
- National Park Service and Alaska Native corporations
- U.S. Geological Survey, co-located on the APU campus
- graduate programs, including the University of Maine and APU’s Master of Science in Environmental Science
‘Our ES majors value physical adventure, intellectual discovery and close professional ties with faculty mentors like my colleagues and me. That’s an exciting combination in higher education.’ – Professor Roman Dial, author, biologist and National Geographic featured explorer
‘ES majors learn to think like scientists by designing and carrying out professional, real-world research. It’s exactly what employers and grad schools are looking for.’ – Sam Friedman, ’13, a National Science Foundation student researcher and prospective master’s degree candidate, University of Edinburgh
More ways to make it your degree
ES coursework prepares you to assess and solve environmental questions confronting Alaska and our world. Expect to work closely with APU faculty to personalize your degree:
- Pursue ES-focused travel courses to places like Hawaii and Death Valley.
- Design your senior-year capstone to showcase project management, research methods, and oral and written communication.
- Extend your knowledge –and make the most of your APU tuition – with an Eco League academic exchange at sustainability-aware campuses nationwide.
Environmental Science Core
Environmental Science Electives
||Environmental Science students have a wide array of elective options and you will work closely with your academic advisor to create a program that fits your goals and aspirations!|
Application Date Requirements
1 month prior to the start of block or session class