APUNSC “Devo” Junior Program (ages 12-14 years)
The Devo Program is an early development program for cross-country ski racing. The goal of the program is to introduce and develop cross-country ski skills, promote general fitness, and create a love of the sport to last a lifetime.
It is important during this early stage of development to start ski specific training and to participate in a broad base of activities. Development of motor skills and coordination is ultimately very important if the athlete decides to concentrate on skiing. Program activities include skate and classic skiing, running, mountain biking, ski walking, bounding, roller skiing, games, and strength training. Training sessions are held three days a week to allow athletes to participate in multiple sports. Devo coaches design practices that are challenging and FUN! As the athlete matures training will become more ski specific.
Involvement in the Devo program is a great opportunity to be exposed to and learn from top skiers and coaches. APU has a strong tradition in nordic skiing producing some of the best skiers the world, including overall World Cup Sprint Champion, former APU junior, Kikkan Randall. The Devo program is a great first step and it is a whole lot of fun!
Additional program details and registration policies:
- Registration payments are due in full before the first day of the session.
- For those new to the program we require 1-3 “trial” practices before official enrollment in the program. After the trial practices our Devo coaches will let you (the parent) know if your child is an appropriate match for the program. The trial is for safety and proper grouping for development.
- Upon coaches recommendation older Devo’s will have the opportunity to train with the Junior Team 1-2 times a week. Additional fees may apply.
- Besh Cup team waxing is included in the Year Round and Winter membership fees.
- Payment plans are available for year round participants. The first ½ of the fee is due on the first day of practice with the second ½ due on October 4. Please choose the “Year round payment plan” option on registration sheet.
- Family discounts are available. To be eligible you must have three or more family members signed up for APU programs, two of which must be year round members. After purchasing two year-round memberships, all additional memberships are half price.