APUNSC “Devo” Junior Program (ages 12-14 years)
The Devo Program is an early development program for cross-country ski racing. The goal of the program is to introduce and develop cross-country ski skills, promote general fitness, and create a love of the sport to last a lifetime.
It is important during this early stage of development to start ski specific training and to participate in a broad base of activities. Development of motor skills and coordination is ultimately very important if the athlete decides to concentrate on skiing. Program activities include skate and classic skiing, running, mountain biking, ski walking, bounding, roller skiing, games, and strength training. Training sessions are held three days a week to allow athletes to participate in multiple sports. Devo coaches design practices that are challenging and FUN! As the athlete matures training will become more ski specific.
Involvement in the Devo program is a great opportunity to be exposed to and learn from top skiers and coaches. APU has a strong tradition in nordic skiing producing some of the best skiers the world, including overall World Cup Sprint Champion, former APU junior, Kikkan Randall. The Devo program is a great first step and it is a whole lot of fun!
2013-14 Season Options
Year-round (April 29 to April 4) The year round program is geared towards kids who love to ski and the training involved in being a skier. Sessions are 3 times a week leaving kids time to participate in other activities while “staying in touch” with skiing throughout the majority of the year. This program is recommended for athletes who wish to race well in middle school, high school, Besh cup races, and beyond. Includes Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.
Spring (April 29 to May 24) Three sessions a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 5:15 pm to 6:30 pm. The spring session is a great way to bridge the gap between our “spring break” and the upcoming summer session.
Summer (May 27 to August 16) Three sessions a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4:30 pm to 5:45 pm. Activities are focused on dry land training. An example of summer training:
- Monday: Strength work, running, and soccer at APU
- Wednesday: Roller skiing (both skate and classic) at Kincaid Park
- Friday: Mountain biking on the Hillside trail system
Fall (August 26 to October 27) Three sessions a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 5:15 PM to 6:30 PM. The fall session is typically dry land training with the hopes for early snow so we can ski!
Winter (October 28 to April 4) Three sessions a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 5:15 PM to 6:30 PM. The winter session focus is purely on cross-country skiing. Athletes will be introduced to classic and skate technique, ski specific training, racing, waxing, ski play, and equipment. We support and encourage participation in the middle school racing program during the months of January and February. Many of our athletes continue to attend APU practices during the middle school season. This allows participation on the school team while benefiting from the skill development and training within the club atmosphere. An example of winter training is as follows
- Monday Skating at Hilltop – relays and downhill practice
- Wednesday Classic at Kincaid – learn how to wax/double pole practice
- Friday Skating at Hilltop – V2 practice and games
Camps Summer will feature the ever-popular Devo Girdwood Camp in June. The camp stays at the Challenge Alaska building at the base of Alyeska and participates in many different dry-land training activities. Camps fees are in addition to program fees and in order to participate, athletes must be signed up for either the year round or summer session.
Additional program details and registration policies:
- Registration payments are due in full before the first day of the session.
- For those new to the program we require 1-3 “trial” practices before official enrollment in the program. After the trial practices our Devo coaches will let you (the parent) know if your child is an appropriate match for the program. The trial is for safety and proper grouping for development.
- Upon coaches recommendation older Devo’s will have the opportunity to train with the Junior Team 1-2 times a week. Additional fees may apply.
- Besh Cup team waxing is included in the Year Round and Winter membership fees.
- Payment plans are available for year round participants. The first ½ of the fee is due on the first day of practice with the second ½ due on October 4. Please choose the “Year round payment plan” option on registration sheet.
- Family discounts are available. To be eligible you must have three or more family members signed up for APU programs, two of which must be year round members. After purchasing two year-round memberships, all additional memberships are half price.