APUNSC Junior Team (High School)
The APU Junior Team is a development program for cross-country ski racing. The goal of the junior program is to develop cross-country ski skills with an emphasis on “training to race”, athlete education, and above all, create a passion for cross-country skiing.
During the junior development phase, training transitions from broad base activity to “training for skiing”. Sessions are 4-6 times a week. Activities include skate and classic skiing, running, ski imitation, biking, classic and skate roller skiing, and strength. Training will be balanced between intervals, distance, speed, technique, and strength. Junior coaches design training that is both challenging and FUN!
Training is typically located at Hillside, APU, and Kincaid. Athletes will also take special training sessions to run in the mountains or ski other trails. APU facilities include strength room, team room for video analysis, wax room, and summer skiing opportunities on Thomas Training Center located on Eagle Glacier.
The Junior Team is organized in two groups by year in school, freshman/sophomores (Prep Team) and junior/seniors (Comp Team).
APU has a strong tradition in Nordic skiing producing some of the best skiers in the US and the world, including overall World Cup Sprint Champion and former APU junior, Kikkan Randall. The junior program is a great stepping-stone, a good challenge, and a lot of fun!
2014-15 Season Options
Year Round (May 5 to April 24) The year round program includes Spring, Summer, Fall, Fall Transition, and Winter sessions. Recommended for athletes racing High School, Besh Cups, Junior Nationals, and Jr World Championships.
Spring (May 5 to May 16) Team training five sessions a week Monday thru Friday from 3:45 PM to 5:30 PM.
Summer (May 27 to August 15) Activities are focused on dry land training for cross-country skiing.
Comp Team (Juniors/Seniors): Six sessions a week.
AM Training: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
PM Training: Monday and Thursday 3:30 to 5:00 PM
Prep Team (Freshman/Sophomores): Five sessions a week.
Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Fall (August 25 to September 26) Sessions are 5 days a week Sunday through Thursday. Tuesday and Thursday sessions are from 3:45pm to 5:30pm; Monday and Wednesday 5:15pm to 6:45pm. Sunday time is announced, as we get closer to fall. Wednesday and Friday sessions are held later so that athletes who are running high school XC can join roller ski sessions to maintain ski specific fitness.
Fall Transition (September 29 to October 31) Sessions are 5-6 days a week Monday thru Friday with 1-2 weekend sessions per month. Weekday sessions are from 3:45pm to 5:30pm.
Winter (November 3 to April 24) Sessions are 3-4 days a week, plus occasional weekend practices. Saturday or Sunday practices are planned in coordination with ASD Region 4 competition schedule on non-race days. Winter session includes race support at Besh Cup and Anchorage Cup races.
Comp Team (Juniors/Seniors):
- Boys Glacier Camp, Eagle Glacier, June 9th-13th
- Girls Glacier Camp, Eagle Glacier, June 16th-20th
- Talkeetna Camp, Knapp Family Cabin in Talkeetna, July 21st-25th
- Dryland Camp, Location TBA, August 11th-16th
- Hatcher Pass on-snow camp, Mountain Streams B&B in Palmer, mid-November
Prep Team (Freshman/Sophomores):
- Girdwood Dryland Camp, Challenge Alaska in Girdwood, June 16th-19th
- Hatcher Pass Camp, Mountain Streams B&B in Palmer, July 27th-30th
- Hatcher Pass on-snow Camp, Mountain Streams B&B in Palmer, mid-November
Camps fees are in addition to program fees and athletes must be registered in the current session to be invited to camp.
Additional program details and registration policies:
- Registration payments are due in full before the first day of the session.
- Payment plans are available for year round participants. The first ½ of the fee is due on the first day of practice with the second ½ due on October 4. Please choose the “Year round payment plan” option on registration sheet.
- Family discounts are available. To be eligible you must have three or more family members signed up for APU programs, two of which must be year round members. After purchasing two year-round memberships, all additional memberships are half price.
- Besh Cup race support is included in the Year Round and Winter membership fees
- Junior National performance incentive: Receive a 10% program discount for one top ten individual finish and a 25% discount for a top three individual finish. A financial incentive to ski fast!