Re-Opening Plan for Recreational Facilities
APU Recreational Facilities is OPEN to APU Students and Employees ONLY at this time. Our number one priority is to protect community members living and working on campus and prevent the potential spread of the coronavirus. We sincerely apologize to our long-time patrons who are members of the General Public and we appreciate your understanding.
The Moseley Sport Center Pool, Atwood Weight Room and Climbing Wall is OPEN to ONLY the following community members:
- All current APU students and employees. (APU ID Access Badge Holders) This does not include ANTHC employees at this time.
- Household-members accompanied by current APU Students or Employees.
- Private rental groups upon management approval
- Face masks are required at all times. This includes in locker rooms and restrooms.
- Masks are not required while showering or swimming in the pool
- Participants must practice social distancing a minimum of 6 feet and obey all capacity limits.
- Participants must wash hands frequently and use hand sanitizer upon entering the facility.
- Stay home if sick, recently traveled out of state or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
What to Expect During Your Visit:
Upon arriving, you will be asked the following screening questions. If you cannot answer “NO” to all of these questions, we kindly ask you to refrain from coming to the gym at this time.
- Do you have any symptoms now associated with the COVID-19 virus; fever, headache, cough, respiratory congestion, body aches and/or chills?
- Are you co-habitating with anyone who has these symptoms or has been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Have you traveled into or out of the state of Alaska in the past 14 days?
- Have you been contacted by a health authority about recent contact with a person who was subsequently diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Are you in regular contact with anyone who is 65 years or older, or anyone who has compromised health and may be particularly susceptible to the virus? If so, think hard about whether you should be entering and spending time in a gym environment.
- All visitors, 4 years old or older and APU employees are required to wear face coverings, as recommended by the CDC, at all times when indoors except when engaged in swimming or showering in the locker room.
- You will not be permitted entrance without a face covering.
- Please bring your own mask. We do not provide them.
- Our facilities have been reconfigured to optimize space for physical distancing:
- Building occupancy will be reduced in accordance with state and local mandates
- Limited capacity has been established for each area to help with distancing
- Our floors are marked to help identify appropriate distances
- Equipment is tagged out to ensure space between users.
- Furniture in social spaces was removed to discourage gathering
- Social distancing measures are in place in all areas of the facilities
Hand Washing & Hand Sanitizer
- Members and staff are asked to sanitize their hands upon arrival and throughout their visit.
- Hand washing sinks are available in the locker rooms and equipped with soap and water
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the facility and entry ways.
Disinfectants & Single-Use Sanitation Wipes
We use cleaning products and protocols which meet CDC guidelines, they’re approved for use and are effective against viruses, bacteria, and other airborne pathogens. Disinfectants are available throughout the facilities for patron and staff use.
Enhanced Disinfecting Procedures
- High touch surfaces will be regularly cleaned hourly using a combination of large-scale sanitation systems and sanitation wipes.
- Electrostatic Spraying & Fogging Systems use a technology that helps ensure all surfaces are disinfected periodically throughout the daily operations.
Cleaning & Sanitation
In addition to strict adherence to CDC cleaning protocols, we invested in new sanitation technologies:
- We are using a range of industrial grade products that are registered with EPA and proven to be effective against viruses.
- We created a detailed cleaning regime to ensure all surfaces and high touch points are wiped down hourly and between user groups.
- Sanitation solution sprayers are being used on all touch-points in the facilities throughout the day, such as cardio machines, strength equipment, computers, door handles and the front desk area. These easy-to-use devices emit a fine mist of disinfectant onto hard surfaces eliminating the need to wipe the surface after spraying.
- Biological Fogging machines emit small particles of sanitizing material into the air which bond to surfaces while killing bacteria and viruses and on surfaces to disinfect. At APU, our fogging machines use a solution proven to eliminate harmful microorganisms. This process is non-toxic and leaves no chemical residue. Fogging will be conducted daily.
- Hand sanitation supplies are available throughout the facility and in each functional area for use by patrons and employees
- All hand sanitizer contains the CDC recommend sanitation percentage, proven to be effective to kill viruses.
What you can do the help APU Recreational Facilities stay healthy before and during your visit:
- Please do your part when visiting by wash your hands when you arrive – this is the easiest way to help prevent the spread of germs
- Have your APU ID Badge handy at the door. We will need to see it before entry.
- Please come dressed out for your workout at the weight room/climbing wall and don’t leave anything behind in locker rooms or cubbies provided overnight.
- Swimmers please shower before entering the pool
- Respect the space of those around you by maintaining social distance
- Clean equipment after use with your own personal spray bottle provided at check-in
- Stay at home if you are sick or have symptoms
- Wear a properly fitted face mask covering your nose and mouth. Masks should be at least 2 layers of fabric material.
- Be flexible. Things change often. We will do our best to adjust as the university, city and state issue more guidelines.
- Please minimize the time spent in the locker rooms if changing is necessary.
Moseley Sports Center Gymnasium:
Closed – Due to earthquake damage repair and reconstruction in progress. Once repairs are complete, we will assess the reopening of the Gymnasium. Estimated reopening assessment date, January 2021.
We currently do not require reservations to use the Moseley Pool, Weight Room or Climbing Wall. You are welcome to call ahead before your workout to assess current user numbers. If capacity limits are reached you may need to wait outside the facility until someone leaves. We do not anticipate this to happen often, if at all, however if it does become an issue we will transition to a reservation system.