Spring Creek Farm, located on Alaska Pacific University’s Kellogg Campus, is an educational farm in Palmer, AK. We grow 1.5 acres of vegetables to support a CSA, farmers market, dining services and various educational programs involving APU students and the wider community. Interns will work full-time and participate fully in all aspects of organic-practice vegetable production, from seed to market. This includes weeding, watering, seeding, transplanting, harvesting, post-harvest handling, and customer service related to CSA distribution and our weekly Farmer’s Market. Internships are available from May 1st through October 15, 2024.
We are hiring full and partial-season interns, with preference for those who can work the entire period.
This internship aims to offer a paid training opportunity to those interested in gaining a season’s worth of experience on a small, organically run farm. In addition to hands-on learning and training, the internship includes guided educational opportunities such as field walks, weekly reflections, take-home readings, and exercises. Please note this position may require working hours during evenings and weekends due to the nature of agricultural work.
To apply, please include a resume and cover letter discussing your qualifications and interest in the position along with the general application form.
- Ability to work 40 hours/week in all conditions. Farm work primarily takes place outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physical ability to lift 50 lbs. and participate in physically demanding tasks that require bending, standing, kneeling, and lifting for long periods of the day.
- Interest in agriculture, sustainable food production, or food systems preferred
- Willingness to accept feedback, work quickly, learn by doing, and participate in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and good communication skills.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- On-site, community-based housing provided
- Access to farm produce equal to an individual CSA share