This position is responsible for the maintenance of all aspects of APU’s general ledger and accounts payable.
- Receives and processes expenditure requests, including verification of supporting documents, spending authority and GL account code.
- Handles communications with vendors, employees, and independent contractors regarding expenditure requests, account status, and Third-Party reporting.
- Enters check request/invoices/credit memos to accounting program.
- Forwards invoice copies to appropriate spending authority for payment approval and check request preparation. Follows up and maintains tickler and correspondence on all outstanding paperwork.
- Sets up recurring expenses for AP P-Card processing, performs monthly reconciliation.
- Audits/verifies APU Corporate P-Card expenditures and account coding. Integrates transactions into GP accounts payable. Administers CCER/P-card, including monitor and adjust credit, card issuance and cancel.
- Determines invoice payment due dates, prepare batches for review and check processing.
- Selects and prints checks, routes for signature. Mails/distributes payments and files backup documents.
- Uploads electronic bank file of check run.
- Identifies, logs, and enters (to AP) all EFT payments and ACH withdrawals for third-party payments.
- Enrolls and monitors ACH Fraud Filter vendors, approves payments as presented.
- Reconciles statements and invoice balances, including monthly insurance statements.
- Receives and distributes accounting and all other unaddressed campus mail.
- Maintains file systems and accuracy of records relating to disbursements, including vendor files, check registers and various electronic payment spreadsheets.
- Prepares computerized reports of open items, cash requirements, vehicle usage, and other reports.
- Reconciles AP balance to the general ledger.
- Tracks, prepares, and produces annual 1099 tax statements.
- Maintains and reconciles general ledger accounts, including:
- reviewing account balances for accuracy;
- monthly bank statements to checkbooks and GL;
- preparing and posting monthly departmental charge backs, pre-paid expenses, and amortizations;
- preparing and posting journal entries to correct balances;
- Assists Controller with general ledger monthly and yearly closes, including preparation of the required reconciliations and workpapers for the annual audit.
- Reviews and posts uploads from subsidiary ledgers to the general ledger.
- Works with SES and University Advancement to reconcile CAMS to the General Ledger.
- Reviews and prepares entries for endowment property monthly activity (from property manager).
- Assists other Accounting and Finance staff when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Knowledge of accounts payable accounting principles and cash handling.
- Skill in utilizing experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook as well as accounting software, and 10-key by touch.
- Skill in following and understanding verbal and written directions.
- Skill in completing assigned tasks with minimum supervision.
- Skill in handling potentially stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Skill in effectively communicating with both internal and external customers.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
Associates degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field. Progressively responsible professional work-related experience, education, or training may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for college education.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION
Non-Supervisory: Two (2) years accounting experience, working with account coding, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and/or budget analysis.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION
Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains is preferred.Apply Online