The Assistant Director performs a variety of functions related to federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs and advises continuing and prospective students.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of financial aid: Determines student eligibility for financial aid programs; updates verification process to ensure federal regulatory compliance; packages and/or repackages students with financial aid awards according to federal, state, and institutional guidelines including student award adjustment requests. Certifies and releases state and private loans. Receives and process external scholarship checks.
- Runs daily and weekly reports for institutional aid and federal aid: application, eligibility, verification, origination, disbursement, and timely release and request of federal funds.
- Works collaboratively with staff and faculty to educate, improve and complete financial aid and related enrollment and retention services.
- Performs financial aid advising of assigned groups of students with ability to assist with any overflow needs from the Financial Aid Specialist.
- Leads or assists the Director to complete donor-funded scholarship administration.
- Leads or assists the Director to complete accurate and timely reports, including but not limited to: Program Participation Agreement (PPA), Fiscal Operations Report and Application to Participate (FISAP), and Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), Other reports to management as requested.
- Assists with developing and managing the annual budget.
- Assists with the design, implementation and evaluation of financial aid communications.
- Maintains annual updates to the financial aid module in CAMS software to ensure accurate and timely processing of student financial records.
- Maintains confidentiality of student financial information as required by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and APU’s confidential and proprietary information policy.
- Assists the Director to ensure that APU has exception-free financial aid audits and program reviews by keeping abreast of and implementing all federal and state laws and regulations that pertain to the programs administered by financial aid.
- Recommends and participates in the development of financial aid policies and procedures; may serve on APU planning and policy-making committees.
- Assists the Director to implement short-and long-range departmental goals, objectives, and effective operating practices and procedures based on analysis of program reviews, audits, assessments and surveys.
- Directs, monitors and evaluates the performance of the Financial Aid Specialist and student worker.
- Represents APU, both internally and externally, to government agencies, funding agencies, students, and/or the general public.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of customer service concepts and practices.
- Knowledge of financial aid systems, procedures, and standards.
- Knowledge of collecting and reporting data.
- Skill in demonstrating ability to exercise sound professional judgment in complex financial matters.
- Skill in detail orientation.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in working both collaboratively in a team and individually.
- Skill in reporting, math and analytical processes.
- Skill in working with software applications, especially Word and Excel.
- Skill in communicating complex information effectively in oral and written formats.
- Skill in working efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced environment.
Minimum Education Qualification
Bachelor’s degree. Progressively responsible professional work-related experience, education, or training may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for college education.
Minimum Experience Qualification
Non-Supervisory: Two (2) years in higher education administration with at least one (1) year in financial aid administration.
Preferred Education Qualification
Three (3) years in higher education administration with at least two (2) years in financial aid administration.
This position oversees the Financial Aid Specialist. You will oversee and manage the performance and duties of department personnel in the Office of Financial Aid.Apply Online