Under general supervision, provides a safe and secure environment for employees, students, and visitors by protecting APU property against fire, theft, harm, vandalism, and illegal entry.
- Performs walking patrols of APU campus buildings, grounds, and parking lots as directed. Conducts security surveillance on campus property; patrols buildings and grounds, check doors and alarm systems and reports any unusual situations.
- Warns violators of safety and security rules, and restrains persons engaging in hostile or criminal acts. Controls access to facilities and enforce visiting procedures within the scope of authority. Protects accident and crime scenes and secures evidence.
- Provides customer service to the APU community, contracted security partners, and visitors. Monitors the campus-wide camera system to broaden the range of security coverage. Provides information and assistance within the scope of the designated authority. Implements emergency procedures when appropriate or as directed.
- Responds to and assists with medical emergencies, alarms, and other security-related occurrences; sound alarm and call the police or fire department as required.
- Renders first-aid and Basic Life Support as a first responder. Prepares log entries and incident reports according to established department guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Knowledge of basic security concepts and procedures.
- Knowledge of first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and other emergency response procedures.
- Skill in responding effectively to security emergency situations.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers
Skill in demonstrated awareness of security issues common in a college setting.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication appropriate to a collegiate setting.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
Some college required
Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION
Non-supervisory – None
MINIMUM CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATION
Must possess certification in CPR/AED or BLS within three months of hire. According to the needs of the organization, some incumbents in this job class may be required to obtain specific technical certifications.
Must be a minimum of 21 years old due to the likelihood of confiscating alcohol in the performance of security duties. Must possess a valid AK Driver’s License.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The following demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must maintain physical health to effectively deal with stressful and potentially hazardous emergency situations. Works in office areas as well as throughout the university. Walks or bikes regularly on trails in cold, snowy, and icy conditions up to 500 yards at night in sub-zero weather. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours. Must be able to lift, push, pull, and move a minimum of 50 pounds. Interacts with students residing in residence halls, family members, staff, faculty, etc., in a variety of conditions and circumstances. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. Driving on university business is required.Apply Online