The Director of Campus Life is responsible for overseeing the housing and residence life components of student life in collaboration with the Dean of Students. The housing and residence life program includes implementation of the resident student judicial system, housing contracts and assignments, staff training and supervision, and policy development. The Director of Campus Life serves in a live-on capacity.
- Responsible for oversight of Campus Safety operations and the implementation of portions of the student activity program of the college.
- Responsible for monitoring income and expenditure budgets related to Residence Life, Campus Safety and Student Activities.
- Serves as a member of the Student Affairs Team, which is charged with creating a positive social and educational environment conducive to students finding success in a small, liberal arts college.
Supervision & Leadership:
- Directly supervises Assistant Directors responsible for Campus Safety and Student Activities.
- Develops and implements selection, training and oversight of campus Resident Assistants.
- Hires and trains student office assistants in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Student Activities.
- Communicates with staff on a regular basis through weekly staff meetings, one-on-one meetings, and daily informal contact.
- Collaborates with Enrollment Services Staff to monitor, report, and develop strategies regarding student retention efforts, with a focus on the on-campus undergraduate population.
- Prepares and executes student-on-student Title IX investigations including training and collaboration with the APU Title IX Coordinator.
- Seeks opportunities for continuing professional development and actively participate in professional associations, training workshops, conferences, and retreats.
Program Administration & Oversight:
- Designs, manages and supports a positive, comprehensive living/learning environment including management of three residence halls and five student housing units.
- Supervises the functions associated with the Campus Safety program.
- Develops, refines, and implements policies and procedures supporting goals associated with the above functions.
- Prepares and manages the Campus Life budgets for Residence Life and Campus Safety.
- Assists the Dean of Students in the oversight and management of the Student Conduct System.
- Assist the Dean of Students in the planning and implementation of New Student Orientation programs.
- Serves as a member of the Student Affairs Team, collaborating with other offices to support student success.
- Serves on appropriate university committees and develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other University departments.
- Coordinates with the Conference and Events Coordinator for summer conferencing operations and academic year event planning.
- Coordinates with the Director of Properties Management for maintenance and janitorial issues with student residences and facilities.
Facilities and Operations:
- Oversees room assignments, key assignments, housing deposits, housing/dining agreements, phone/computer port assignments, maintenance of student records, check-in/check-outs, and new student arrivals.
- Manages student billing and assignments through CAMS (information software system)
- Assesses and coordinates facility needs and preventive maintenance programs in student housing.
- Develops and organizes student publications including the Campus Life Handbook, Academic Year Housing Contracts, and Summer Housing Contracts.
- Assists the Dean of Students in the detailed planning for potential capital projects.
Critical Incident Response:
- Demonstrates a degree of availability and accessibility to residents, particularly during the evenings & weekends.
- Shares responsibility with other staff members for scheduled evening & weekend On-Call coverage in an emergency first-responder capacity.
- Assists in addressing the risk management concerns of the on-campus student population and serves on the Campus Risk Management committee.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and background about programs and intervention strategies designed to improve the retention rates of college students.
- Knowledge of current trends within the collegiate environment including multicultural issues, new technologies, student development theory, and other recent developments.
- Knowledge of the value of a liberal arts educational experience.
- Skill in providing support to students and student groups.
- Skill in leading, motivating, and advising students.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication skills appropriate to a collegiate setting.
- Skill in computer literacy.
- Skill in developing and implementing creative ideas to foster learning outside the classroom.
- Skill in self-direction and showing initiative.
- Skill in effectively communicating with both internal and external customers.
- Skill in utilizing data management software.
- Skill in working effectively with diverse people found in a college setting.
- Skill in implementing special events including student activities, recreational programs, musical events, speaker series, or other similar events.
- Skill in working with residence hall operations and programs.
- Skill in overseeing and implementing a student conduct system.
- Skill in managing multiple tasks and details in a fast-paced work environment.
- Skill in showing a commitment to ethical values in the workplace.
Minimum Education Qualification
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Minimum Experience Qualification
Non-Supervisory: Two (2) years’ experience working in college student affairs, counseling/advising, education, and/or relevant professional community-living leadership required.
Supervisory: Two (2) years’ experience managing relevant professional community-living environment required.
Preferred Education Qualification
Master’s Degree in College Student Personnel or a related field preferred.
The Director of Campus Life is one of the positions that responds to critical emergency phone coverage for the campus community.
Must possess certification in CPR/AED or BLS within three months of hire. According to the needs of the organization, some incumbents in this job class may be required to obtain specific technical certifications.Apply Online