This position provides vision and leadership for the development and maintenance of innovative technology solutions that support student engagement, transform the learning environment, optimize resources, minimize risk, provides data for informed business decisions, and monitors systems that optimize business process.
- Oversees functions including IT strategy, governance, performance management and the definition of IT ways of working (for example, common methodologies, processes, and tools for developing and operating IT).
- Focuses on ensuring that the IT organization “does the right things” through strategy and governance, as well as “doing things right” through organizational and operational model development and performance management, enterprise change management, and business relationship management.
- Responsible for driving focus and prioritization within the IT organization by establishing strategic planning and governance principles and processes.
- Oversees IT workforce, IT department structure, including the sourcing, training, supervision, and development of staff.
- Leads and participates on technical teams in the delivery of new technologies into the infrastructure.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of IT policies, procedures, methodologies, and governance — as well as performance management frameworks and metrics — to ensure the IT organization delivers value to the University.
- Plans, organizes, controls and directs operations and activities involved in the research, review, analysis, interpretation and reporting of variety data and information used in assessing institutional effectiveness.
- Leads technical teams in the creation and maintenance of a data warehouse, and maintenance of statistical and other data for reports related to institutional effectiveness including: enrollment, demographics, productivity, student success, and retention rates.
- Provides project consultation offering assistance to staff and departments requiring research assistance; coordinating the research efforts of departments involved in projects with common goals.
- Serves as a member of the University management team, providing broad insight to IT domains and capabilities in support of University wide business decisions.
- Provides technology leadership and support to University committees including Risk Management Steering and Technology Advisory.
- Establishes and implements continuous-improvement programs for the IT organization.
- Stays current with developments in new market trends and innovations in technology and the leadership of enterprise IT.
- Drives and facilitates effective collaboration and communications between the IT organization and the user and customer communities.
- Regularly reviews IT costs and cost structures for IT services and products so that the financial implications of IT projects and activities are communicated to the proper management.
- Directs risk evaluation and compliance management processes to ensure the University meets all legal and contractual obligations that relate to Information Technologies.
- Develops and manages strategic vendor and partnership relationships.
- Oversees the selection and execution of high-impact, enterprise wide technology, strategic programs or initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies, technology directions, and strategic application to business needs, including the ability to differentiate between a relevant trend and hype.
- Skill in working in the Education sector preferred.
- Skill in managing cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders.
- Skill in making executive decisions where appropriate.
- Skill in budget planning, financial management and workforce management.
- Skill in improving operational efficiency, service delivery and information management across the IT organization.
- Skill in both oral and written communication.
- Skill in explaining technology solutions in business terms.
Minimum Education Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or related field.
Minimum Experience Qualification
- Non-Supervisory: Eight (8) years’ experience working in the information technology field. AND
- Supervisory: Five (5) five years of management experience in the field of information technology.
Preferred Education Qualification
- Master’s degree preferred.