JOB SUMMARY: The Health Programs Advisor provides support services for students studying in health-related programs at APU. The Advisor works to develop culturally responsive services, retention initiatives, and outreach efforts to ensure students achieve educational goals and degree attainment. The Advisor will be responsible for assisting individual students from diverse backgrounds and for developing and implementing career exploration, academic success, and academic advising programs.
- Develops initiatives and individual plans to improve the persistence, retention, and graduation rates of APU students
- Works with program faculty, Advising Services, Campus Life, and Student Enrollment Services to identify and address academic support and co-curricular needs of students in health programs delivered on campus and at a distance.
- Maintains routine communication streams that connect students to each other, to programs of study, and to student services.
- Assist academic advisors and faculty with registration advising and other student support functions as necessary.
- Advises students on advanced degree and graduate school opportunities and preparation as well as pathways to various healthcare careers
- Works with program directors and student service personnel to plan and support orientation activities, outreach efforts, academic support programs, and recruitment initiatives.
- Assists with the tracking and reporting of student outcomes.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Skill in working with students in an advisory or counseling capacity.
- Understanding of healthcare professions and related qualifications.
- Knowledge of Alaska Native and Native American communities and cultures
- Ability to develop and implement culturally relevant campus-based and distance-delivered programs.
- Skill in building and maintaining a service schedule that meets the needs of a growing population.
- Skill in effectively managing time and resources.
- Skill in working with Microsoft Office Suite and telecommunication applications.
- Skill in working with student information systems and records.
- Skill in working as a team player dedicated to the success of the institution.
- Excellent professional interpersonal and written communication skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
A bachelor’s degree is required. Education and/or experience in a health-related field preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
Experience with postsecondary advising, mentoring, or recruitment preferred. Experience in a healthcare profession or related academic field preferred.
Current and valid driver’s license required with ability to pass a driving record check and driving test.
Ability to travel independently.