The Network & Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of the University’s voice, data and wireless network services and server infrastructure. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and server technology across the organization. In addition, the Network & Systems Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network and server hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network and server hardware / software problems in a timely and accurate manner, and provide end user training where required.
- Maintains all desktop computers, software installations including licensing compliance throughout the organization
- Workstation imaging and remote application delivery
- Management of corporate cell phones
- Support help desk ticketing system including staff, new employee/student procedures, inventory management preventative maintenance and reporting operations.
- Help desk ticket assignments based on which resource is deemed best suited to perform root cause analysis and problem resolution.
- Ensures that the problem ticket owner is following established processes and helps manage the required resources
- Responsible for network managed services such as antivirus, desktop imaging, printing
- Windows server administration and maintenance
- Server, database and file backup/restore
- Deliver technology solutions and resources appropriately and timely
- Develops and/or communicates the problem management process and its relevant critical success factors
- Manage VoIP phone system
- Ensures that problems in the environment are entered in the problem management ticketing system in a timely manner with accurate information
- Performs upfront root cause analysis to understand the impact, severity, and risk of the problem; determines what work-arounds and known error exist; and assigns a priority to the ticket.
- Serves as an active member of the critical incident, change, configuration, availability, and event management process and teams, and works to provide seamless process and data integration among these process modules
- Participates in problem management technology evaluations and decisions and manages the day-to-day use of problem management tools
- Exercises discretion and judgement in the development and support of the system and community
- Performs Network connectivity and troubleshooting for users and peripherals
- Manages implementation of and resolves issues to all telephony products throughout each of APU on campus and off-campus locations
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent desk side manner when helping end users and teammates; excellent customer service skills
- Strong work ethic
- Demonstrated experience managing end user devices on a corporate network
- Understanding of naming conventions, standards, and the discipline to follow them
- Solid understanding of Windows networks, Active Directory, Group Policies and end user administration
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP protocol stack, DHCP, DNS, subnetting, VLANs, and network troubleshooting
- Comfortable with remote administration tools
- Demonstrated desktop computer management in a client/server network
- Demonstrated desktop computer imaging and remote application delivery
- Ability to reconcile expenses and report to accounting in an accurate and timely manner
- Experience with multifunction copiers, scan-to email and file, print metering, and driver nuances
- Familiar with virtualization-desktop and server
- Skill in managing multiple projects and deadlines effectively, prioritizing customer needs and determining urgency and impact of request.
- Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Skill in diagnosing and resolving computer hardware and software issues.
- Skill in presenting complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Skill in focusing on delivering services that are stable, reliable, accessible and sustainable in a manner that is ethical and responsible.
- Skill in managing projects through the stages of requirements gathering, progress reporting, management of change, risk management and reporting to stakeholders
- Skill in developing and supporting complex information systems
- Skill in working independently and in a team environment
- Skill in problem solving
- Skill in identifying usability problems and using innovation to find custom workarounds
- Must possess in-depth knowledge of IT end-to-end problem management, encompassing availability, event management and root-cause analysis including:
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing demands for resources
- Ability to analyze and solve technically challenging problems involving operating systems, software and hardware
Knowledge of the following technologies is a plus:
- Citrix, Cisco Meraki, VMWare, Nimble storage, Windows Server, SQL Server
Minimum Education Qualification
Associates Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. Bachelor’s or higher strongly preferred. Progressively responsible professional work-related experience, education or training may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for college education.
Minimum Experience Qualification
Non-Supervisory: Five (5) years computer experience working in an Information Technology environment.Apply Online