The System Administrator’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of the University’s computing environment including Active Directory, DNS, O365, communication and collaboration, email, virus protection, and security. This is achieved by planning, configuring, and supporting all applications and services across the organization. In addition, the System Administrator will participate in the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all desktop and server hardware, software, and applications. This individual will also analyze and resolve system hardware/software problems in a timely and accurate manner and provide end-user training where required.
The following duties are intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities and ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
· Maintains all desktop computers, and software installations including licensing compliance throughout the organization.
· Workstation imaging, patching, and remote application delivery.
· Manage and monitor Office 365 services and hybrid infrastructure.
· Support help desk ticketing system including staff, new employee/student procedures, inventory management, preventative maintenance, and reporting operations.
· Work help desk tickets assigned and perform root cause analysis and problem resolution.
· Document changes to the systems using change management best practices.
· Maintain a highly secure environment through proper configuration and system access monitoring.
· Responsible for network-managed services such as file shares, antivirus, desktop imaging, printing,
· Manage account authorization services such as single sign-on (SSO) and multi-factor authentication.
· Windows server administration and maintenance including SSL certificates.
· IIS management, configuration, and performance tuning.
· Monitor system/service performance and communicate to stakeholders.
· Ensure service delivery meets the business requirements (based on defined SLAs).
· Performs upfront root cause analysis to understand the impact, severity, and risk of the problem; determines what workarounds and known errors exist; and assigns a priority to the ticket.
· Automate processes for software installation, monitoring, alerting, file management, configuration management, and other operational areas.
· Serves as an active member of the critical incident, change, configuration, availability, and event management process and teams, and works to provide seamless process and data integration among these process modules.
· Analyzing and remediating security threats and vulnerabilities.
· Participates in Business Continuity Planning and Exercises as needed.
· Exercises discretion and judgment in the development and support of the system and community.
· Performs system configuration and troubleshooting for users and peripherals.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Attention to detail with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated experience managing end-user devices on a corporate network.
- Understanding of naming conventions, standards, and the discipline to follow them.
- Solid understanding of Windows networks, Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Group Policies, and end-user administration.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and its interaction with Active Directory.
- Knowledge of Office 365 Teams/Groups/Video/Delve/Power BI
- Experience with Azure AD user management for both Office 365 and third-party services.
- Comfortable with remote administration tools.
- Demonstrated desktop computer management in a client/server network.
- Demonstrated desktop computer imaging and remote application delivery.
- Experience with multifunction copiers, scan-to-email and file, print metering, and driver nuances.
- Familiar with virtualization – desktop and server.
- Advanced scripting skills.
- Skill in managing multiple projects and deadlines effectively, prioritizing customer needs, and determining urgency and impact of requests.
- Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Skill in diagnosing and resolving computer hardware and software issues.
- Skill in presenting complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Skill in focusing on delivering services that are stable, reliable, accessible, and sustainable in a manner that is ethical and responsible.
- Skill in managing projects through the stages of requirements gathering, progress reporting, management of change, risk management, and reporting to stakeholders.
- Skill in developing and supporting advanced information systems.
- Skill in working independently and in a team environment.
- Skill in advanced problem-solving.
- Skill in identifying usability problems and using innovation to find custom workarounds.
- Must possess in-depth knowledge of IT end-to-end problem management, encompassing availability, event management, and root-cause analysis.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to support system availability which may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Knowledge of the following technologies is a plus:
- Citrix, VMWare, Nimble SAN, Veeam, MacOS, SQL Server, Azure, DUO
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
Associates Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. Bachelor’s or higher is strongly preferred. Progressively responsible professional work-related experience, education, or training may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for college education.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION
Non-Supervisory: Five (5) years of computer experience working in an Information Technology environment.
- 5+ years of experience with Microsoft Windows Server administration.
- 2+ years of experience with Exchange (on-premise/online) administration.
- 2+ years of experience with Office 365 (over 100 users) administration and migration tools.
- 2+ years of experience with Apple MacOS, and IOS.
- Office 365 or any other Microsoft certifications are a plus.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION
- Strong understanding in managing user authentication through onsite ADFS.
- Ability to create advanced VBScript and PowerShell scripts to schedule repeatable processes.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- 2+ years of experience with Cyber Security.