Mission & Vision
The Fisheries, Aquatic Science, & Technology (FAST) Lab, located at Alaska Pacific University (APU) in Anchorage, Alaska, employs APU’s unique blend of intensive and traditional coursework with applied fisheries research to engage students in active learning. Our approach, based on a training-through-service philosophy, is to immerse undergraduate and graduate students in real fisheries and marine science research projects. The mission of the FAST Lab is to advance the state and practice of fisheries, aquatic science, and technology by:
- Addressing local, state, national, and international research and education needs through active cooperative partnerships with industry, governmental, and non-governmental organizations.
- Conducting rigorous research resulting in peer-reviewed publications.
- Training solution-oriented scientists by immersing students in applied research.
FAST Lab achieves this mission by:
- Recruiting and supporting excellent students and professional researchers.
- Investigating in strategically important research areas that create world-class opportunities for students and generate new lines of funding.
- Developing synergistic partnerships with state, federal, corporate, and private entities.
- Expanding our research capacity by engaging top external scientists.