Strategic Plan 2023
In the 1950s, Peter Gordon Gould (Unangax̂) from Unga, AK advocated for a unique liberal arts university to serve Alaska and Alaska Natives. We reaffirm our founding mission with Alaska Pacific University’s 2023 Strategic Plan. The initiatives outlined in the Plan enable us to enhance the student experience, address critical state and global issues, collaborate with Tribal and other community partners, and strengthen and sustain the university.
This Strategic Plan provides focus and direction for the continued development of the university in the areas of: Learning, Growth, and Innovation; Community Engagement and Impact; and Stewardship. Since the Strategic Plan was launched in 2018, we have made significant progress on the goals and initiatives outlined in the plan. Of the 33 initiatives tied to the goals outlined in the plan, 12 are completed or on target and another 17 are ongoing or in progress. Accomplishments include:
- Establishing the Elders Council
- Developing and revising academic programs in healthcare, sustainability and education
- Promoting a culture of wellness among the student body
- Developing and communicating guidelines and metric to respond to public health crises
- Creating advisory board structure and procedures
- Increasing and diversifying revenue
- Creating and annual report and dashboards
Of course, several of our strategic initiatives require ongoing effort. These include: Indigenization of our curriculum and campus; developing relationships with partners to support student success, research, and fundraising; updating our enterprise systems and reporting infrastructure; increasing and diversifying enrollment; building our financial reserves; and developing more resources for faculty and staff development.
Read more information on the status of the Strategic Plan 2023 initiatives.
Honoring Alaska’s Indigenous heritage, exemplifying excellence, and preparing paths
APU provides a world-class, hands-on, culturally responsive educational experience in collaboration with our students, communities, and Tribal partners
Learning, Growth, & Innovation
Cultivate APU as a multicultural community where people love to learn and work
- Develop and use relevant curriculum and culturally responsive delivery methods
- Improve and expand experience-enhancing services for students
- Deliver and support employee health, education and development opportunities
- Develop a culture of continuous assessment that sparks innovation and improvement
Community Engagement & Impact
In service to our peoples and communities, assist our students to achieve the best expressions of their potential and collaborate with partners to provide the highest level of collective impact
- Provide academic programs and educational growth opportunities that meet Alaska’s critical needs
- Practice applied, action and community-based research that answers relevant questions
- Engage Alaska Native Elders and other knowledge and culture bearers
- Develop as a cultural center that allows APU to serve as a gathering place
- Facilitate and create experiential learning opportunities for our students
Act responsibly in service to our university and those it serves
- Produce financial fitness, embodying sustainability
- Practice data-driven decision making
- Build a reputation that reflects our Vision, Mission and Values
Creating APU’s Strategic Plan 2023
This Strategic Plan represents the aspirations and collective wisdom of diverse university stakeholders. In 2018, we engaged members of the community in a broad conversation about the future of the university. The Strategic Planning Committee of over 40 faculty, students, staff and trustees met throughout the year to identify institutional priorities and envision a culturally vibrant and responsive learning environment. Hundreds of people contributed to the Plan through community visioning sessions, surveys, and other outreach. Through this inclusive process, key ideas emerged as priorities.
Our success relies on the continued investment of members of the community in the Plan, and any needed modifications, in order to make our aspirations real. Core themes and initiatives guide faculty and staff in aligning decision-making, resource allocation, and program development to the Strategic Plan, and we assess our progress and impact regularly using specific metrics. As the university continues to grow and thrive, we will engage the campus community in refining these priorities.
As we move toward becoming an Alaska-Native serving and Tribal university, we will draw on the strong foundation of liberal arts and sciences envisioned by our founders, listen to the wisdom of Elders and other culture bearers, collaborate with our community partners, and rely on the continued efforts and commitment of members of the APU community. Together, we will make APU a stronger institution and enhance the path of educational opportunity for current and future generations of students.