Devo Junior Program
Junior High School
The APU Devo Team is an early development program for cross-country ski racing for junior high school age athletes. The goal of the Devo program is to develop cross-country ski racing skills, promote general fitness, and create of love of the sport to last a lifetime. During this development phase, training consists of a broad base of activity to promote healthy lifestyles and multi-sport activities.
Training sessions are 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). In the winter session are all skiing, both classic and skate. In the summer, we promote ski training with a variety of activity, including running, hiking, roller skiing, games, and strength. We believe Devo athletes should be active everyday, participating in multiple sports and programs. Devo coaches design training that is both challenging and FUN!
We encourage athletes to participate in Besh Cups and Middle School skiing, cross-country, and track or soccer programs.
Training is typically located at Hillside, APU, and Kincaid. Athletes will also take special training sessions to run in the mountains or ski other trails.
APU has a strong tradition in Nordic skiing producing some of the best skiers in the US and the world, including overall World Cup Sprint Champion and former APU junior, Kikkan Randall. The Devo program is a great first step and it is a whole lot of fun!
2015-16 Season Options
- Year Round – (All sessions below)
- Spring – (May 11 to May 22) Mon, Wed, Fri from 5:15 PM to 6:30 PM.
- Summer – (May 27 to August 14) Mon, Wed, Fri from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Fall – (August 24 to October 23) Mon, Wed, Thur from 5:15 PM to 6:30 PM
- Winter – (October 26 to April 1) Mon, Wed, Thur from 5:15 PM to 6:30 PM
- Girdwood Camp: June 6-8
- Hatchers Camp: July 29-31
*Camps fees are in addition to program fees and in order to participate athletes must be signed up for either the year round or session.
Additional program details and registration policies:
- Registration payments are due in full before the first day of the session.
- For those new to the program we require 1-3 “trial” practices before official enrollment in the program. After the trial practices our Devo coaches will work with you (the parent) to make sure your child is an appropriate match for the program. The trial is for safety and proper grouping for development.
- Besh Cup race support is included in the Year Round and Winter membership fees.
- Payment plans are available for year round participants. The first ½ of the fee is due on the first day of practice with the second ½ due on October 2. Please choose the “Year round payment plan” option on registration sheet.
- Family discounts are available. To be eligible you must have three or more family members signed up for APU programs, two of which must be year round members. After purchasing two year-round memberships, all additional memberships are half price.