Patrick Higgins is the Outdoor Programs director as well as an adjunct instructor. Patrick manages the weight room, rock wall, outdoor equipment rentals, and provides outdoor recreational activities for students, staff, and the general public.
Patrick has been with APU since 2016 as an adjunct instructor and in his current position as the Outdoor Programs director since 2020. Patrick has an extensive background in Outdoor Education and enjoys utilizing active learning for students at APU!
Previously Patrick has worked as head whitewater instructor for Turnagain Kayak in Hope, Alaska; a director for ski school at Hilltop Ski Area, in Anchorage, Alaska; director for paddle sports education at Next Adventure in Oregon; and a whitewater kayaking instructor for Otter Bar Kayak Lodge in California.
Currently, Patrick is working on his Master’s in Outdoor and Environmental Education at Alaska Pacific University and has a B.A. in Geography from the University of Iowa. Patrick enjoys most human-powered outdoor activities from surfing, climbing, backcountry skiing, and snowboarding, mountain biking, whitewater kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and pack rafting.
- American Canoe Association Level 5 Advanced Whitewater Kayaking Instructor
- ACA Level 5 Advanced Open Water Coastal Kayaking Instructor
- ACA Level 4 Whitewater Kayaking Instructor Trainer
- ACA Level 2 Coastal Kayaking Instructor Trainer
- ACA Level 4 Swift Water Rescue Instructor
- ACA level 4 Whitewater Stand Up Paddleboard Instructor
- American Association of Snowboard Instructors Level 1 Instructor
- British Canoe Union Coach Level 1