We encourage students to pursue multiple sources for funding a college education. View these resources as well as budget, spending, and education tax benefit information.
APU Donor-funded Scholarships
In addition to institutional grants and scholarships, students can apply for APU donor-funded scholarships annually.
APU Institute Scholarships
The Institute of Business & Public Policy offers a scholarship to its students annually.
Private/External Scholarships – Search and Apply
Make time to do this! You can search for scholarships year-round, but keep in mind that you’ll find more application deadlines take place in the winter and early spring. Use the following resources to learn how, where and when to apply:
Think about who you are (age, ability, ethnicity, tribe, veteran status, etc.), organizations you belong to (professional, fraternal, athletic, worship, etc.), and organizations you do business with (insurance, credit union, your employer, etc.). Search those organizations directly and do additional research online. Here’s three examples of what to type in your search engine: 1. High school student scholarships for college. 2. Grants for working adults in Alaska. 3. Minority scholarships for environmental science.
Here are just a few scholarship search engine websites. Use the tips these websites provide! You should never pay money to apply.
Segal AmeriCorps Education Award Matching Institution
The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a post-service benefit earned by individuals who complete a term of national service in approved AmeriCorps programs. Alaska Pacific University offers an AmeriCorps Matching Grant to qualified AmeriCorps students in recognition of academic potential, involvement in community activities, and leadership. This award matched the AmeriCorps funds the student requests from AmeriCorps dollar for dollar for up to $2000 per academic year ($1000/semester). The student must be admitted to a degree program at Alaska Pacific University.
For more information on using your Segal Education Award, visit the Corporation for National & Community Service page.
U.S. Department of Education – Federal Student Aid
- www.studentaid.gov to learn about federal grants, loans and qualifying for work-study. Also view the federal loans you have already borrowed and federal grants you have already received.
- studentaid.gov/loan-simulator/ to learn about loan repayment options.
Veterans and Active Duty Military
Learn about education and training opportunities. Use the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website and search for scholarships within your specific military branch.
- Alaska Pacific University is a participating Yellow Ribbon institution. APU will cover a maximum of $500 scholarship match annually along with the VA contribution of $500 annually. Please view eligibility requirements at the VA Yellow Ribbon page and notify the APU Registrar’s Office that you qualify for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits. There is a maximum of five eligible students funded per year.
Work and Employer Benefits
Income from work can be a great source to help finance your investment in your education. Find out from your employer if scholarships or tuition assistance are available. Payment plans are available for those who want to pay a monthly amount during the semester. For on-campus work opportunities please contact email@example.com.
Budget, Spending, and Education Tax Benefits
Budgeting and Financial Resources
Use a budget to plan and track your spending. Learn credit basics to understand how it impacts your financial life. If you use loans to finance your education, estimate your repayment.
- Budget basics including a budget worksheet from consumer.gov
- Credit basics from AIE.org
- Basic student loan repayment calculator from Mapping Your Future
- Set up an appointment with an APU financial aid staff member to help answer your questions
Education Tax Benefits
Learn about tax credits and interest deductions to help your bottom line. APU cannot provide tax advice but you may contact a certified public accountant for additional information and advice.