APUNSC Junior Team (High School)
The APU Junior Team is a development program for cross-country ski racing. The goal of the junior program is to develop cross-country ski racing skills with an emphasis on “training to race”, athlete education, and above all, create a passion for cross-country skiing.
During the junior development phase, training transitions from broad base activity to specific ski training. Sessions are 4-6 times a week. Activities include skate and classic skiing, running, ski imitation, biking, classic and skate roller skiing, and strength. Training will be balanced between intervals, distance, speed, technique, and strength. Junior coaches design training that is both challenging and FUN!
Training is typically located at Hillside, APU, and Kincaid. Athletes will also take special training sessions to run in the mountains or ski other trails. APU facilities include strength room, team room for video analysis, wax room, and summer skiing opportunities on Thomas Training Center located on Eagle Glacier.
The Junior Team is organized in two groups, freshman/sophomores (Prep Team) and junior/seniors (Comp Team). As the season progresses, athletes will be sorted according to individual development and skills to encourage optimal development.
APU has a strong tradition in Nordic skiing producing some of the best skiers in the US and the world, including overall World Cup Sprint Champion and former APU junior, Kikkan Randall. The junior program is a great stepping-stone, a good challenge, and a lot of fun!
2015-16 Season Options
Year Round (May 4 to April 15)
The year round program includes Spring, Summer, Fall, Fall Transition, and Winter sessions. Recommended for athletes racing High School, Besh Cups, Junior Nationals, and Jr World Championships.
Spring (May 4 to May 15)
Team training five sessions a week Monday thru Friday from 3:30 PM to 5:15 PM.
Summer (May 26 to August 14)
Activities are focused on dry land training for cross country skiing.
Comp Team (Juniors/Seniors)
Six sessions a week.
- AM Training: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- PM Training: Monday and Thursday 3:30 to 5:00 PM
Prep Team (Freshman/Sophomores)
Five sessions a week.
- Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Fall (August 24 to September 25)
Sessions are 5 days a week Sunday through Thursday. Tuesday and Thursday sessions are from 3:30pm to 5:15pm; Monday and Wednesday 5:00pm to 6:45pm. Sunday time is announced, as we get closer to fall. Wednesday and Friday sessions are held later so that athletes who are running high school XC can join roller ski sessions to maintain ski specific fitness.
Fall Transition (September 28 to October 30)
Sessions are 5-6 days a week Monday thru Friday with 1-2 weekend sessions per month. Tuesday and Thursday sessions are from 3:30pm to 5:15pm; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday sessions are 5:00pm to 6:45pm.
Winter (November 2 to April 15)
Sessions are 3-4 days a week, plus occasional weekend practices. Saturday or Sunday practices are planned in coordination with ASD Region 4 competition schedule on non-race days. Winter session includes race support at Besh Cup and Anchorage Cup races.
Junior teams are scheduled for a May ‘Start up’ camp, 2 summer camps, and early season ‘on-snow’ camps at Hatcher Pass. Camps are an incredible experience for developing ski skills, building a great team atmosphere, and experiencing Alaska adventure! For the Prep Team summer camps will focus on dry-land training, one in Girdwood and one in Hatcher Pass. For the Comp Team summer camps will focus on a dry-land camp in Hatcher Pass and a summer ‘On-snow’ camp on Eagle Glacier. Dates are announced in the spring before May 1.
Prep Group 2015 Camp Dates:
- Girdwood Jr Prep: June 2-5
- Hatchers Jr Prep: July 25-28
Comp Group 2015 Camp Dates:
- Start-up Camp, In-town, May 2-3
- Hatcher Pass Camp, Mountain Streams B&B in Palmer, June 11th-17th
- Girls Glacier Camp, Eagle Glacier, July 27th-Aug 1st.
- Boys Glacier Camp, Eagle Glacier, Aug 9th-14th.
*Camps fees are in addition to program fees and athletes must be registered in the current session to be invited to camp.
Additional program details and registration policies:
- Registration payments are due in full before the first day of the session.
- Payment plans are available for year round participants. The first half of the fee is due on the first day of practice with the second half due on October 2. Please choose the “Year round payment plan” option on registration sheet.
- Family discounts are available. To be eligible you must have three or more family members signed up for APU programs, two of which must be year round members. After purchasing two year-round memberships, all additional memberships are half price.
- Besh Cup race support is included in the Year Round and Winter membership fees
- Junior National performance incentive: Receive a 10% program discount for one top ten individual finish and a 25% discount for a top three individual finish. A financial incentive to ski fast!