Our past is rich with momentous triumphs and colorful milestones.
Pious, soulful and diverse; croquet and cheerleading to Frisbee golf and world-class cross country ski teams; Early Honors high school seniors to a doctorate program, our historical evolution is robust. Here are some highlights:
In 1956 signs were put in place with the permission of the territorial police marking the college site for promotional purposes.
Dr. Donald F. Ebright of Chicago, Illinois was elected as the first President of the University April 1958.
The Grant Hall cornerstone laying ceremony was held on Sunday, July 12, 1959.
A 30-meter ski hill and Paul Crews Jump was built in 1967 on a hill with a vertical 80° slope.
In June of 1973 V. Louise Kellogg created the Dewolf-Kellogg Trust, setting aside 900 acres for the use of the newly established Alaska Pacific University. She wanted a place for students to come and be with nature.
In 1980 APU cosponsored student Clarence Shockley in the Iditarod sled dog race to Nome and he practiced with his dogs on the APU trail system.