Our mission is to encourage each student’s discovery of the joy of learning through hands-on activities in nearby nature, in their home community and to nourish healthy lifestyles with local nutritious foods.
The goal is to offer an outdoor-based enrichment program that will create holistic learners that pursue interests and solve problems by looking through a wide-angle lens, using scientific inquiry, historical understanding, cultural awareness and linguistic reflection. The lessons we offer are interdisciplinary in nature.
Kellogg F.I.E.L.D. School Standards
KFS standards serve as rigorous goals for instructing and learning. They have been gathered from various state and national environmental education standards and customized to fit our local needs. Contemporary society is placing immense academic demands on learners. Clear statements about what LFS participants should know and be able to do are essential to ensure that our program offers participants a foundation for environmental literacy.
KFS has identified the following educational benchmarks. These learning goals should be met across four sessions.
- Environmental Sensitivity: Learners develop sensitivity for the natural environment.
- Nature Studies: Learners develop a foundation for ecological concepts.
- Outdoor Pursuits: Learners make healthy lifestyle choices by participating in outdoor physical activities.
- Farms and Food: Learners appreciate the value of nutritious food and are able to trace the progression from “farm to fork.”
- Our Shared Alaskan Experience: Learners explore the unique cultural and geographical aspects of our local and regional community.
Mat-Su Borough School District Standards
As a service to families and a measure of instructional quality, lessons are aligned to Alaska State scope and sequence standards. With our focus of experiential education, Kellogg F.I.E.L.D. School strives to make learning relevant to life, combining many disciplines to explore a given concept.