GCI is a telecommunications corporation headquartered in Alaska with additional locations throughout the U.S. Founded in 1979, GCI has worked to deliver communication and technology services to the most remote communities across Alaska. This scholarship honors Donovan Walsh, an Alaskan who suddenly passed away in late August of 2020. Donovan was the son of Bob Walsh, a longtime GCI employee beloved by all who have worked with him. As GCI’s Director of Rural Affairs, Bob played a key role in delivering connectivity to small, rural communities statewide. Bob retired from GCI in 2019. This scholarship was been granted to APU in honor of the family and Donovan’s memory.
“With deep roots in Northwest Alaska and a lifetime of advocating for rural Alaska, Bob’s impact both on the state and GCI are immeasurable,” said Senior Vice President & General Manager of GCI Business Martin Cary. “Our hearts are with the Walsh family. The GCI team is pleased to be able to honor the family and Donovan’s memory through the Alaska Pacific University Donovan Walsh Scholarship.”
Ten scholarships of $2,000 will be awarded for the 2022-2023 academic year. Prospective students do not have to be admitted yet to submit an application.
To apply for GCI’s Donovan Walsh Scholarship, please complete the application and submit to the APU Financial Aid Office by April 1 at 11:59 p.m. AKDT
Frequently Asked Questions
Submit an application and a required 250-500 word essay by the deadline.
The 250-500 word essay should include:
- A general biography.
- Explanation of why you are applying for this scholarship.
- Highlights of your educational and professional goals
- Explanation of how this funding will help you meet your goals.
Yes. If you applied for the scholarship before and wish to receive it again you must reapply.
- Recipients must self-identify as Alaska Native orAmerican Indian; or be from rural Alaska (defined as living outside of the municipality of Anchorage, Mat-Su, Fairbanks, or Juneau).
- Recipients must be a degree-seeking student in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, and enrolled at least part time
Yes. The scholarship is open to both graduate and undergraduate students.
You must be enrolled at least part-time (12 credits or more).
$2,000 total. $1,000 will be awarded for the Fall 2022 semester and $1,000 for the Spring 2022 semester.
Ten (10) students will receive $2,000 scholarships.
The Donovan Walsh Scholarship funded by GCI is open for all students. First consideration will be given to Alaska Native/American Indian students or students from rural Alaska. Rural is defined as an individual living outside of the Municipality of Anchorage, Mat-Su, Fairbanks, or Juneau. The second consideration will be given to students who demonstrate financial need. Individuals wishing to apply for the scholarship provided by GCI must:
- Be enrolled at least part-time in an undergraduate or graduate program
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0