The Business Administration Department of Alaska Pacific University recently learned that it has received accreditation from the IACBE (International Assembly of Collegiate Business Education) for its Business programs, including:
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting with an emphasis in Non-Profit Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration & Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration & Management with an emphasis in Non-Profit Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration & Management with an emphasis in Health Care Management
- Accelerated Bachelor of Business Administration and Management /Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Finance
- Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Health Services Administration
- Executive Master of Business Administration in Strategic Leadership
IACBE is an outcomes-based professional accreditation agency for business and management education in colleges and universities that deliver quality education demonstrated by educational outcomes. To have IACBE accreditation “means that an institution and its academic business unit have made a commitment to excellence in business education, and that their business programs have been evaluated by independent, external reviewers and have complied with the IACBE’s Accreditation Principles.”
For a student, “IACBE accreditation helps to ensure that your business degree is of high-quality. IACBE-accredited programs have undergone a rigorous self-evaluation and on-site evaluation by highly-trained reviewers. In addition, the institution and its academic business unit have demonstrated a commitment to excellence in business education and are involved in a continuous quality improvement process based on the assessment of student learning outcomes.” To learn more about IACBE, click here.
This was a three year process for the APU Business Administration Department that completed its IACBE self-study in 2012/13 and hosted the accreditation team visit in May 2014. After a final review by the IACBE Board of Commissioners, APU Business programs were approved for accreditation by having demonstrated compliance with a comprehensive set of accreditation principles pertaining to academic quality that included: Outcomes Assessment, Strategic Planning, Curriculum, Faculty, Scholarly and Professional Activities, Resources, Internal and External Relationships, International Business Education, and Educational Innovation.
The APU Business Administration Department received special commendations from the IACBE for learning resources, international business education and educational innovation. The Site-team’s conversations with the stakeholder groups during their visit to APU in May of 2014 highlighted the following:
- Students were supportive in their assessment of the faculty and the learning environment. Students acknowledged that small classes and the relationship with their professors and fellow students have allowed them to build a network of professional opportunities.
- The Business Administration Department is highly valued on campus by University administrators who support faculty in the creation of programs based on student demand and industry needs.
- Faculty collaboration is strong and positive, which contributes to student success.