Constructed in 1984 and named in 1989 for Anchorage businessman and philanthropist Volney Grace in 1989. Formerly the home of the University’s administrative offices it is now fully occupied by federal agencies.
Built in 1960, this former men’s dormitory was named for the founder of Alaska Methodist University, Rev. Gordon Gould. It is currently home to the University’s environmental, marine sciences and outdoor studies programs and the Student Wellness Center.
Named in recognition of Bishop Raymond Grant, former chairman of the board of trustees of Alaska Methodist University, (1897-1967). The cornerstone was laid in July, 1959, and the building was ready for the first students of AMU in September 1960.
This home for the University’s presidents was built in 1983 by Frances Mlakar in memory of her husband, John Mlakar. John was a committed board of trustee member and Frances is trustee emeriti.
Dedicated May 10, 1986 in honor of Homer and Ruth Moseley, the in-laws of trustee Larry Carr. Larry and his wife, Wilma Carr were significant contributors to the construction of the sports center.
The University’s trail system was named in 1993 for longtime Nordic ski coach Jim Mahaffey. Jim retired in 1992 and made it his personal project to groom and maintain the trails.
The Robert Atwood Building was constructed in 1965 as the student union building. Atwood was the publisher of the Anchorage Times and a former University trustee. His wife, Evangeline, was the author of a number of books on the history of Anchorage and Alaska. Following Evangeline’s death Robert had a fountain added to the building in 1988.
In the 1950s Arthur Waldron and his wife Edith visited 40 states organizing a fund raising drive to begin the University. In 1972 Arthur gave the carillon to the University in memory of his wife.
This building, opened in January 1992, is named for Larry and Wilma Carr and Barney and Rachel Gottstein, successful Anchorage businessmen and philanthropists.
Philanthropists N.E. “Knobby” and Mary Segelhorst donated funds to build a 24 bed apartment style residence for APU students in 2006.
The Kellogg Campus of Alaska Pacific University: The Kellogg Campus is a 900 acre working farm in the Matanuska Valley, 40 miles north of Anchorage and in Palmer. It was given in trust in 1973 to Alaska Methodist University by its owner, V. Louise Kellogg, a Trustee of the University Board of Trustees.