In the 1950s, Peter Gordon Gould (Unangax̂) from Unga, AK advocated for a unique liberal arts university to serve Alaska and Alaska Natives. In 2018, we reaffirmed our founding mission with the development and approval of Alaska Pacific University’s 2023 Strategic Plan. The initiatives outlined in the Plan enable us to enhance the student experience, address critical state and global issues, collaborate with Tribal and other community partners, and strengthen and sustain the university.
This Strategic Plan provides focus and direction for the continued development of the university in the areas of: Learning, Growth, and Innovation; Community Engagement and Impact; and Stewardship. Since the Strategic Plan was launched, we have made significant progress on the goals and initiatives outlined in the plan. Of the 33 initiatives tied to the goals outlined in the plan, 12 are completed or on target and another 17 are ongoing or in progress. Accomplishments include:
- Establishing the Elders Council
- Developing and revising academic programs in healthcare, sustainability and education
- Promoting a culture of wellness among the student body
- Developing and communicating guidelines and metric to respond to public health crises
- Creating advisory board structure and procedures
- Increasing and diversifying revenue
- Creating and annual report and dashboard
Of course, several of our strategic initiatives require ongoing effort. These include: Indigenization of our curriculum and campus; developing relationships with partners to support student success, research, and fundraising; updating our enterprise systems and reporting infrastructure; increasing and diversifying enrollment; building our financial reserves; and developing more resources for faculty and staff development. As a community, we continue to work on these goals.
Click here for more information on the status of the Strategic Plan 2023 initiatives.