Frequently Asked Questions

What forms are needed to apply for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each year. You can submit your application electronically by using FAFSA on the web.

Please note that the 20010-2011 FAFSA is used for Fall 2010, Spring 2011 and Summer 2011 semester/block/sessions/terms.  The 2009-2010 FAFSA is used for Fall 2009, Spring 2010 and Summer 2010 semester/block/sessions/terms.

Is the FAFSA required if I am receiving an institutional scholarship from APU?

Yes, to receive institutional scholarships, students must file the current year Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).

What types of federal financial aid do I apply for when I complete the FAFSA?

Your eligibility for all forms of federal financial aid, including PELL Grant, SEOG Grant, ACG Grant, SMART Grant, FFELP Loans, and Work-Study are determined when you complete the FAFSA.

I probably don’t qualify for aid. Why should I apply?

Many families mistakenly believe they don’t qualify for aid, preventing themselves from receiving aid for which they may be eligible simply because they fail to apply. In addition, there are sources of aid, such as Unsubsidized Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Student (PLUS), available regardless of need.

I sent my FAFSA over four weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything. What should I do?

If you haven’t received a Student Aid Report (SAR), call the Federal Processor at 1-319-337-5665 or 1-800-433-3243.

How do I transfer my financial aid to APU?

Technically, financial aid does not transfer from one school to another school. Each school must determine your eligibility for financial aid. It may be exactly the same at each school or it may differ considerably. The first thing you should do is contact the other school and cancel your financial aid and notify the appropriate office that you are transferring. You will then need to phone 1-800-433-3242 and request that your Student Aid Report be sent to APU. Our school code is 001061. When these documents are received by the Student Services Office, we will contact you concerning the status of your application.

What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized loan?

For both loans, the principal (the original amount a student borrows) is deferred until six months after the student graduates or stops attending school at least half-time. As its name implies, a SUBSIDIZED loan is one where the government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school. An UNSUBSIDIZED loan is one where the government does not pay the interest while the student is in school, that is, the student is responsible for paying the interest.

What is “loan counseling”, an “entrance interview” or “entrance counseling session”?

All of these terms refer to the same thing: loan counseling. The federal government requires all first-time student loan borrowers to participate in loan counseling prior to receiving a Federal Student Loan. During this session, you will review basic facts about student loans, managing your education expenses and your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You can participate in loan counseling by clicking here, loan counseling.